From the start ST4’s biggest strength has been in translation support. Maximum efficiency in translation management – maximum operating convenience for the customer: to manage complex translation projects easily and intuitively has been our aim from the beginning.
Therefore translation management will remain one of the main topics to focus on in development. In ST4 2014 we improved and extended some of the functions which should make your task as translation manager easier. We mainly emphasized better clarity and security.
Even Smaller Deltas – Even Less Cost
Let us first take a look at translation management with ST4 2014 from a more technical aspect. Above all the following, three new features are important:
- Automatic transfer of structural changes: Certain structural changes like the fragmentation of available content or the deletion of paragraphs can now be implemented to all languages directly in ST4. If you intend to use this feature, you simply need to check the setting in the “Common Options” menu.
With this feature, “permeability” between the languages is increased. The result being: More text can be “translated” by you and in deltas less nodes than up to now will end up in the translation process. Of course security for this process is provided within the system: In case the changes are not transferred to a foreign language an appropriate message will appear.
- Variables now also without translation workflow: Up to now changes without translation workflow were only possible on the node level, for example to carry out minor corrections. Now also variable tables can be changed directly in various languages – without translation workflow.
- Release of several languages at the same time: The person responsible for release at the end of the translation workflow is able to release several languages at the same time in ST4 2014. This again saves a lot of time. And the interface shows immediately which languages have been released indirectly – that is to say because they are inherited from other languages.
- No unnecessary translation: In ST4 2014 you can control whether labels that only appear on the ST4 interface will be exported for translation via options (menu “Common Options”). Working with a team that is fluent in the editing language can save additional translation costs.
Revised User Interface: More Clearly Arranged and More User Friendly
We perfected the new possibilities to transfer changes from one language to the other by the following changes to the user interface. Here our goal is to provide you with a better overview of the existing data and where to possibly reduce certain tasks in the workflow.
- Expansions of the translation report: The translation report as the central tool has been expanded by new options for filtering. For example the display of content or resource nodes can be restricted. As the person responsible for translation, you can thus properly focus on the information which is important for you right now.
The information on the translation status can at the same time be copied to the clipboard and reused.
- Integration of functions in the translation report: Now it is possible to call up an overall view of the open translations directly for each node.
In addition we integrated the dialog box “Open Translations” into the translation report so that you can open it without having to use the menu.
- Translation report in the DocuWeb Translator: When you use the DocuWeb Translator for translations, ST4 2014 now also offers the possibility of calling up a – slim – translation report. There you can quickly overview the translation properties of the node you are working on right now.
- Improved handling of resource nodes: In ST4 2014 it is possible to access the translation properties and the translation status directly in the resource nodes. Here you can also change the editing or the source language of resources by only a few mouse clicks afterwards.
- Improved interfaces: When you use the RTF interface for exchanging data with the agency you will be glad about the easier import procedure. Up to now you needed to select the XML as well as the RTF file. What has been simplified: When the XML file has been selected the corresponding RTF file is automatically imported.
We also implemented the request of the Across users: From now on translated projects are displayed in the tree structure providing a clearer overview of the existing data.
- Last But Not Least: Even More Data Security
Every technical writer has had this problem: You are changing a node and afterwards you notice that it was exported for translation at that time. Or: Despite testing to the best of one’s knowledge, an outdated translation is still produced…
This will not happen anymore with ST4 2014. For example if you want to edit a node that is currently being translated a respective warning message will appear. And when you are producing an outdated translation version there will also be a message in the “Messages” viewlet.
In addition to the regular trainings, we are offering our customers and partners a number of “webinars” during the coming weeks. There you have the opportunity of getting to know the most important aspects of the new features in a compact form.
Of course we very much appreciate your feedback. If you have any comments or suggestions, please send us an email.